Blog Archive

Friday 29 January 2016

Broken Windows 10 App Store

My daughter brought her shiny new laptop to me this week, very sheepishly telling me the App Store was not working. She thought she'd done something wrong, but obviously it was Microsoft's doing.
The icon had changed to be "@{Microsoft.Windows...." and would not open. Time to learn lots more than I ever wanted to about Windows 10...

The Store app is stored alongside all the apps downloaded from the Store (and pre-installed) in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps, which is a hidden directory. There seemed to be two versions of the app store in there, 2015.25.22.0 and 2015.25.24.0. Neither worked. After a lot of Googling (and Binging?) I found this link which pointed me in the right direction and was basically the only helpful thing I could find about the issue, although seemingly not the issue I was having.
So I removed version 24:


remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.24.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe -confirm

Fine. Nothing bad happened.

So I tried to reinstall it as suggested in my Google find. Except it complained about version 22 still being installed. I didn't save the error message unfortunately. So, OK, I thought, just remove version 22. So I tried:

remove-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.22.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe -confirm

And got this (relevant bit picked out of a screenful of messages). Not what I wanted:

error 0x80070002: Reading manifest from location:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.22.0_neutral_split.scale-100_8wekyb3d8bbwe.xml failed with error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

It was right though. That file wasn't there. So I then simply(!) installed Windows 10 as a VM in VirtualBox on my trusty MacBook and found that file. Actually it was the version 24 xml file, but I renamed it and edited it so it looked like version 22, put it into the place suggested by the error and tried the remove command again, and: hoorah! It "removed" the xml file and its corresponding directory in c:\Program Files\WindowsApps. (Did I mention that was hidden and owned by TrustedInstaller?). I did :

Takeown.exe /F c:\Program Files\WindowsApps 

to get round that.

Anyway, time to try reinstalling the version 24 of the Store (as that was the only version I now had, as my VM decided to install updates all by itself. Bloody Microsoft).

I copied the directory (I will not call them folders) into c:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.24.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe 
and put the xml file into c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\AppRepository. The I ran:

Add-AppxPackage -Register c:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.24.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppxManifest.xml -DisableDevelopmentMode

The PowerShell command (I mentioned I was in PowerShell right? No? Well I was. As Administrator) ran without error. Progress, I thought. Then nothing happened.
I pressed the Win key to show the start menu and the App Store icon still showed the gobbledygook it showed before. Obviously, then, being the logical, level-headed animal I am, I furiously hammered the Win key for a few seconds until, lo and behold, the Store "tile" looked right again. Eureka!
And it worked. I clicked on it and it opened. F**king-A! I download the first sh*tty app I could see, and it downloaded and ran. Job done. Let adulation from 14 year old daughter commence. 

Yeah, right.